Monday, May 9, 2011

WHO IS YOUR MENTOR?

The information in this blog is not only suitable for singers, but rather anyone and everyone. I've been teaching voice since 1989. I feel quite confident within my work. Years ago someone made a comment to me in regards to what I may want to do that could help better myself as instructor. I was totally offended. I had it in my head that I was already at the top of my game. I've had many instructors throughout the years, but never a mentor. It's so important to have someone to look up to that you can learn from as well as connect with and respect. I've learned more within the last 8 months than I have in years. I have finally met my mentor. No, he doesnt' help me with my teaching voice. I don't even know if he sings. He mentors me within the business side of my work. He may not know that he's mentoring me at all! His accent is so thick, I often find myself saying "what?" I've never even met him in person. We only talk through e-mails and sometimes over the phone. It doesn't matter. Not even a little. He explains things to me in such a way within the business aspect of my work, that I totally get it!!! My business skills have grown beyond belief and so has my gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment